Our genuine Bolga baskets are exclusively woven by the indigenous Frafra people of Bolgatanga in Northern Ghana. For many generations, weaving has been a traditional skill. Elephant grass, which grows in abundance in this region, is harvested seasonally, prepared to produce a strong fibre that is dyed using traditional plant and non-toxic fabric dyes to produce an array of vibrant colours. Our baskets are double woven to produce strong, flexible and durable products. Click below for further information on the materials used and how our Bolga baskets are made.About Bolga Baskets
Bolga Baskets can be cleaned using water. We do not recommend the use of soaps or cleaning product as this can affect the dyes used on the product. Baskets can get out of shape during their travels and this can be easily fixed. Simply soak the basket in water and reshape while the basket is damp. Dry in natural sunlight.Care Instructions
Our hand woven African baskets are from Bolga in Northern Ghana. Traditionally used to carry...
Please note our current small round baskets have a tan coloured handle and not black...
The market baskets are popular not only because they look great, they are just so versatile:
- Like the name suggests, we think these baskets are perfect for collecting goods at the market, fill your basket up with organic produce at the farmer’s market.
- A much more environmentally friendly option for your regular grocery shopping.
- The size is ideal for storage of toys in the kids room or playroom, books, CD’s, DVD’s magazines, the list is endless!
- With their unique and vibrant designs, the market baskets make a lovely decorative piece for the bohemian inspired home.
- We love taking our woven basket along with us to the beach, it is the perfect size to fit towels, sunscreen, sandals, snacks and sunglasses.
- Similarly, our African baskets make ideal picnic baskets as they can easily fit a picnic blanket, drinks and snacks for the perfect picnic.
Our African market baskets come in many design options, from a simple natural style – in closed or open weave – to a mixed variety of coloured baskets. The coloured baskets are a reflection of the traditional vibrant colours commonly seen in Ghanaian fashion. View the full range of Market Baskets here.
Each market basket is hand woven individually so sizes may vary slightly but approximate measurements:
Basket base diameter: 27cm
Top basket length: 45cm
Basket height (not including handles): 38cm
- We aim to dispatch products within 2 business days.
- We offer a $10 flat rate for shipping around Australia.
- For delivery outside of Australia, please contact us for a quote.
- Delivery time varies by location but on average will take 1 – 3 business days to metro areas and up to 7 business days to rural or regional areas including WA, and NT.
Please see our Shipping policy for further details.